Chris Smalling’s hot tub caught fire during a poker game

“Manchester United legend Chris Smalling.”

Every now and then I say that out loud and chuckle because, in theory, that’s possible, and I think that’s hilarious. Because, who are we kidding, it’s Chris Smalling.

Anyway, people who wear uniforms were called to Manchester United legend Chris Smalling’s house, according to newspapers, because his hot tub caught on fire while he was playing poker. That’s something that only happens to club legends.

The Manchester area fire people (that’s their official title) released a statement confirming the fire:

“Police were in the area when they spotted smoke and reported a fire to our control centre. When we arrived it was quite a large fire involving a jacuzzi and decking, which could have easily become something more serious.

“The police officers who were at the scene used a garden hose on the fire and when we arrived we extinguished it using a hose reel. The most likely cause was an accidental electrical fault.”

That’s one of the funniest statements ever. Obviously, because no one was hurt, but the level of detail is extraordinary. It was a garden hose. That’s funny. Also, and decking. Hilarious.

And then there was this Smalling pre-fire Instagram post. 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Lads Night! #pokernight #championsleague

A photo posted by Chris Smalling (@smalling) on

Foreshadowing is a bitch.